The 2014 Crypticon Seattle Makeup Contest
Five Artists will have 2 hours to create their best FX horror make-up using ONLY the provided materials on a provided model assigned by the event organizer.
Makeup creation will take place in a room open to the public and contest volunteers and judges will be on hand to observe and answer questions. Crypticon will provide the same items in a makeup kit supplied by the Nightmare at Beaver Lake for each artist for use. Additional items will be available on a first come, first served basis from the PNTA Makeup Pantry. The contest will also be filmed for presentation on Cryptic TV.
Final decisions will be will be delivered live by judges in the Vendor area of the convention. Prize presentation will follow immediately and the winner may be eligible to compete against others in a national competition the following year.
Stan Winston School of Character Arts is proud to present a SWSCA gift package to the winner of the 2014 Crypticon Seattle Makeup Contest.
Additional prizes will be announced at a later date. Depending on the number of entries received, the organizers may choose to hold an intermediary “qualifying event” (announced only to entrants) to determine the finalists competing at the convention.
- Submission deadline is April 2, 2014. Late entries cannot be accepted.
- Valid entries must include artist’s
- Phone number
- Email address
- $20 non-refundable submission fee (collected on website).
- Returning artists who submitted entries in 2013 should contact the contest organizer (rob at CrypticonSeattle dot com) before submitting entry.
- 3 digital pictures in JPG format of one FX makeup job that they themselves have done.
- The organizer recommends 3 pictures of your work or 3 views of your best work. Please submit work done only within the past year.
- The non refundable submission fee does not include entrance to the convention; this must purchased separately. The organizers strongly suggest purchasing your convention entrance prior to the day of the competition.
- All valid entries received before the deadline will be considered by judges. Only 5 entries will pass the primary round to compete at the convention.
- Artist must be available to participate in the contest on Sat., May 24. Time details will be announced later.
- Artist must check in on Sat. May 24 by 1 p.m. at registration with the organizer. Failure to check in will result in disqualification as a NO SHOW.
- A model will be provided for the contest. Artist and model should be aware that this process will take several hours and clothing may be soiled, distressed, and bloodied. Crypticon will provide t-shirts to each model.
- Artists will be given a sponsor supplied makeup kit for use, with some additional items available on a first come, first serve basis. The kit will be returned to the sponsor following the competition.
- Artists will NOT be allowed to use personal makeup items (colors, brushes, effects, accessories, etc) in their creation.
- Artists will have 120 minutes to create their best FX Horror effect on their model. The contest will be held in an area in full view of the public.
- Judging and feedback will take place on the main stage in the Vendor area.
- NO trademarked or licensed characters may be reproduced.
- The judging categories are Adherence to Theme, Design, Color, Use of Materials, Techniques of Application, and Professionalism with points for Creativity and Originality.
- The decisions of the contest judges are final.