NEW FOR 2014! ALL dark genres welcome! We′re also accepting graphic novel entries as well as short stories for the contest! See below for details.
Blysster Press is proud to sponsor Crypticon Seattle’s yearly Writing Contest. No matter your publishing history, education, or experience, we want you to scare the crap out of us!
We welcome all skill levels and writing styles as long as entries are dark or creepy! ALL genres welcome, not just straight horror. This means we’re looking for paranormal, dark sci-fi, dark fantasy, dark romance, dark comedy, dark kids and YA, thriller, mystery, suspense. EVERY genre is welcome, as long as it has a dark, creepy, spooky, or scary vibe, even if it’s not technically horror. We’re also accepting graphic novels for the first time this year!
The winner will receive:
- “Front of the book” publishing in the Crypticon Seattle Anthology*, which will be available world wide both in print and ebook
- Recognition on the Blysster Press and Crypticon Seattle websites
- Recognition and prizes at the Crypticon Seattle Writing Contest ceremo
- ny in front of the whole crowd
- Cold hard cash (amount determined by donations and sponsorship, but no less than $25)
- Author copy of the anthology
- An evaluation of one or more of your contest entries by one of Blysster Press’ senior editors or the Editor-In-Chief herself. This includes valuable feedback and editing notes (a value of up to $500!)
- Winner may also get a publishing offer from Blysster Press with worldwide availability of his or her book to major retailers and libraries in both print and ebook format. Blysster Press takes NO cut of author’s sales. 100% profit goes to the author.
Finalists’ entries will be published in the Crypticon Seattle Anthology* which is available world wide both in print and ebook.
Finalists will get detailed feedback on their entry from the Editor-In-Chief, and may also be offered publishing through Blysster Press.
Additional prizes to be announced!
- Entry fee is $10, payable via Paypal
- Entry deadline has been extended to February 9th (SUNDAY) at 11:59 p.m.
- Stories must be between 500 and 10,000 words. Graphic novels should be between 10 and 20 pages—a “page” is 5X7 with .5″ (half inch) margins all around. If you need help formatting for a graphic novel, please send us a note!*
- Entries must be original and never before published.
- Entrants must be 18 or older.
- Please include your name, pen name (if different), email address, and word count (or page count if a graphic novel) at the top of your entry.
- Multiple entries are welcome—each entry MUST have a separate entry form and fee.
- Acceptable file types: .odt (Open Office, FREE word processor, is our preferred file type), .txt, .doc.
*If there aren’t enough high-quality entries by the cut-off date, the anthology may not be printed, but the award ceremony will still happen. If there aren’t enough stories for the anthology, Blysster Press may offer to print the winner(s) in the following year’s anthology instead.
Questions? Contact the Blysster Press editor at email@example.com.